Aim & Scope
The Journal of Social Sciences and Humanities, Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences, University of Karachi ISSN 2664-4967 (online), ISSN 0257-4276 (Print), is an HEC recognized in 'Y' category, multi-disciplinary Social Sciences journal, and is published biannually by the Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences, the University of Karachi in the month of June and December. The journal covers a wide array of topics from different learned scholars, ranging from international relations, psychology, political science and education to criminology. The studies are conducted on a broad spectrum of topics ranging from socio-cultural, economic, and political changes, to human behavior, globalization, and financial crimes as well.
All the information on this website is published in good faith and for general information purposes only. All information is updated through notification from the concerned authorities. Any action you take upon the information on our website is strictly at your own risk, and we will not be liable for any losses and damages in connection with the use of our website.
Frequency of journal
Journal of Social Science and Humanities is a Bi-Annual Research Journal. It publishes two issues a year.
Guidelines for submission of research articles
- Authors are requested to upload manuscript that does not carry any author’s and his/her institution's Information or any information that can reveal the author’s identity.
- The title page that carries details of authors and their institution, acknowledgment, details of the conflict of interest, disclosures, and details of the contribution of each author must be submitted separately.
- Author Agreement Statement must be submitted separately with the manuscript and title page.
- The author has to ensure that the research work, he/she is submitting for publication, is genuine and that the same paper has neither been published nor has been presented elsewhere for publication.
- Manuscripts for publication should comprise 4000 to 6000 words, typed in MS-Word format on A-4 size paper should be submitted via the submission tab.
- An abstract of 150 to 200 words should be a structured summary indicating the purpose, theoretical background, methodology, results and contribution of the study. It should not contain any citations. The summary should be clear and understandable to readers.
- Article should be in the standard format and footnote referencing in Turabian format be followed for citations.
- Properly ordered Bibliography in Turabian format should be provided.
- Draft must be submitted at the website <https://www.jsshuok.com/oj/index.php/jssh> with a covering letter carrying the title of the article, author’s full name, institutional affiliation, mailing address and any other information that the author wishes to send related to the paper.
- Maximum of three contributors will be allowed in one article.
- Original drawings should preferably be submitted in a form ready for printing. Each illustration should bear a number, the author’s name, and the title of the paper. Tables should be clear, readable and appropriately labeled. Source of each table should be given at the bottom.
- Loanwords accepted in English usage should be spelled in accordance with the standard dictionaries.
- All submitted manuscripts will be checked with anti-plagiarism software (Turnitin) before they are sent for blind peer review. A maximum of 19% similarity is allowed as per the mandatory condition of the Higher Education Commission (HEC).
- Every submitted manuscript will be reviewed by the Editor / editorial team in order to determine if the topic fits within the scope of the journal. All manuscripts received, will be accepted after initial screening, and undergo a double-blind peer-review process. The reviewer’s response will be shared with the corresponding author. In case of revision, the corresponding author will be given time to incorporate the revisions and resubmit the work.
- The Editor / Editorial Board reserves the right to edit the draft and make necessary changes, defer for revision or reject the paper.
- Research paper, once reviewed, cannot be withdrawn, provided the Editor / Editorial Board allows upon request of the author/s in some special cases.
- Copyright for articles published in JSSH journals are retained by the authors. JSSH is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work.
Journal of Social Science and Humanities is a Double-Blind Peer-Reviewed Research Journal. All articles submitted to the journal are sent to the reviewer without the details of the author and his institution.
Originality and plagiarism policy
Journal of Social Science and Humanities Publish only original research conducted by authors as mentioned in the author guideline. The allow similarity index is less than 19% as per the policy of HEC Pakistan.
The Journal of Social Sciences and Humanities can be subscribed for Print Copy by sending an email to email@example.com beside this the online copy of the journal is freely available for open access at https://jsshuok.com/oj. The subscription fee for a print copy is Rs 300/=
Authorship credit should be based on meeting the following criteria:
- 1. Substantial contribution to paper concept or design, acquisition of data, or analysis and interpretation of data;
- 2. drafting the article or reviewing and introducing fundamental changes to it;
- 3. final approval of the version to be published.
All persons designated as authors and co-authors should meet these criteria. As co-authors of a paper, there should be identified all persons who have made significant scientific contributions to the work reported, and who therefore share responsibility for its content and results. Authors should also appropriately recognize the contributions of technical staff and data professionals. All contributors who do not meet the criteria for authorship (e.g., financial support) should be listed in the section “Acknowledgements” (financial disclosure). Editors retain the right to request information about the contributions of each person in writing the article.
Authors should also be aware that the following phenomena are examples of scientific misconduct and must be avoided: ghostwriting and guest writing authorship.
A group of co-authors should jointly make the decision about the order in which their names are given. During manuscript submission, the submitting author must provide contact information (full name, email address, institutional affiliation, and mailing address) for all of the co-authors. The author who submits the manuscript for publication accepts the responsibility of notifying all co-authors of the manuscript being submitted. The author must submit an Author Agreement statement duly signed by each author, which should be submitted together with the manuscript.
All detected cases of scientific misconduct will be documented and the appropriate institutions and entities will be notified.
Sources of data and ideas
Authors are required to faithfully acknowledge and identify contributions of other persons to their reported work as well as clearly identify sources of both data and ideas. Authors should cite all publications that have been important in the development of the submitted study and that will guide the reader to the earlier researchers that are essential for understanding the present analysis.
Authors are required to make reasonable and diligent efforts to find, and then accurately cite, original sources and publications. Authors should only present as reliable either personally verified or peer-reviewed sources of scientific data and literature.
Authors must not engage in plagiarism or self-plagiarism. Plagiarism is verbatim or near-verbatim copying, or paraphrasing without due modification, of text, data, or other material containing results of another person’s work, without explicit identification of the source of such material. Similarly, self-plagiarism is replicating the author’s own previously published text or results without acknowledgment of the source. Exercising care for publishing only original research, editors of JSSH are committed to deterring plagiarism and self-plagiarism and may use special software to screen submitted manuscripts for similarity to previously published material. The manuscripts may be screened during the whole editorial cycle, including the submission process, and until the final publication in online or print form.
It is prohibited for an author to submit manuscripts describing essentially the same research to more than one journal of primary publication unless it is a resubmission of a manuscript rejected for or withdrawn from publication. An author is required to organize his or her paper so that it provides a well-rounded description of the examined issue. Fragmentation of research reports excessively consumes journal space and unduly complicates literature research; therefore, authors are expected to avoid it whenever possible.
Open Access Policy
JSSH provides immediate open access to its content on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge. Copyright for articles published in JSSH journals are retained by the authors. JSSH is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author’s responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author. All articles published in JSSH can be deposited in public and institutional repositories such as research gate, university libraries, personal websites, etc.
The names and email addresses entered on our site will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of our journals and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party.
JSSH applies for the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 International License. License for scholarly work it publishes. This license lets others remix, tweak, and build upon your work non-commercially, and although their new works must also acknowledge you and be non-commercial, they don’t have to license their derivative works on the same terms.
Author Agreement Form
Authors of the research article are required to submit an Author Agreement Statement that declares originality, not accepted for publication anywhere, consent of Authors for paper publication in the journal, and nomination of corresponding authors. The statement of author agreement must be signed by all the authors of a research paper.
Deadlines of all processes
The authors can submit their research papers throughout the year. There is no submission deadline.
Reviewing and Editing
JSSH is a double-blind peer-reviewed journal. Submitted papers and short communication are evaluated by independent referees or Editorial Board members specialized in the article field. Our Reviewers evaluate the submitted material’s scientific significance and novelty, define its accordance to the general journal profile, and scrutinize its content for compliance with the journal’s publication ethics. After the refereeing process is complete, the paper may be rejected, returned to the author for revisions, or accepted for publication.
The authors are responsible for the contents of their paper or short communication. Editors may request an author, when considered necessary, to elaborate on the content or technical details of the paper. Scientific editing might change the format and correct the writing to render it compliant with the editorial policy of the journal.
Pictures and graphs are special subjects to editorial consideration, as their quantity should be optimal and only necessary in the content of papers. Pictures, graphs, and textual content alike are subject to ethical standards concerning authorship and integrity. Additionally, whenever images are included in accounts of the research process or results, or in data collections, the author must provide an accurate description of how the images originated.
Acceptance of articles and publication of articles
The acceptance and publication of the article are based on the decision of the Editor of the journal. The Editor takes a decision in the light of the review report received from the reviewer.
Timelines of publication of issues
The Journal released two issues per year. The first issue released on 30th June of every year and Second issue release on 31st of every December. The Journal takes at least one month/ 4 weeks to complete the review process after the date of submission. The Journal publishes all research article in the next issue which are being received less than the 4-week time before the release of the current issue.
Steps involved from date of receipt of research article till the publication of the article
- Authors are required to submit a complete manuscript without details of authors and their institutions along with a separate title page carrying details of authors and their affiliation.
- The Editor/Manager of the Journal assigns a manuscript with the anonymous author to an editor from the editorial board for desk review. The Journal uses an open journal system for the Management the journal. The editor of the journal also has the rights of the journal manager.
- The Editorial board member sends the article to the editor after desk review/ Initial screening.
- The Editor sends to review all those articles which successfully clear desk review and assign two reviewers including national/international reviewers to the article.
- The reviewer receives a notification on his /her email and on Open Journal System.
- The Editor takes the decision on whether the article is acceptable for publication or not. If the article is ok for publication, the Editor further sends the article for Copy editing after receiving two positive reviews from the authors. Otherwise sends for revision.
- Copy editing involves further proofreading of the research articles and doing corrections in the formatting of articles.
- Once the copyediting is done. The editor sent the article for Production and Publication. A Pdf of a research article is being attached to Open Journal System with the Abstract and Affiliation details of the Authors.
Article processing and publication fee
The Journal Charge Rs 25,000 for the article processing fee including an Rs 8,000 initial deposit at the time of article submission and Rs 17,000 at the time of Publication.
Disclosure and Conflicts of Interest
Conflict of interest is a situation in which the process of research and publication may be corrupted or its results may be biased because of some other interests of its participants. It may concern any one or more of the participants of the research and publication process – the author, the reviewer, or the editor. Conflicts of interest may occur for financial (e.g., employment opportunities, fees or other compensation arrangements, beneficial ownership of stock) or other reasons (e.g., personal relationships, the pursuit of an academic career, intellectual passion, political involvement, etc.) that can reasonably be expected to influence motivations or results of actions of participants of the publication process.
Conflicts of interest constitute a serious threat to the integrity and objectivity of both scientific research and publishing. Therefore, the best practice for authors, reviewers, and editors alike, is to avoid conflicts of interest situations whenever possible.
All participants in the publication process who are in the situation of a conflict of interest must disclose this fact. Of special importance is that if the original research study reported in the manuscript or the preparation of the manuscript was supported by one or more grants, the title and number of the grant(s) and the name of the institution(s) that provided the grants or financial support to conduct, analyze or write-up the study, must be specified in the manuscript.
Editors of JSSH may use information disclosed in conflict-of-interest and financial-support statements as a basis for editorial decisions. The corresponding author must either notify the editor at the time of submission that there is no conflict of interest to declare, or fairly and effectively communicate all conflicts of interest, which will then be acknowledged in the published article.
Correction and retraction of research articles
The Editor of the Journal sends an email to the authors of the article for revision/correction proposed by Editorial board members and reviewers after the initial screening and the final review respectively.
Contribution and consent of each author and any other information
Authors are required to submit details of the contribution of each author on the title page that is uploaded separately and submit the consent of each author in the Author agreement statement.